According to The Telegraph, a British newspaper, the Argentinean football clubs Boca Juniors and River Plate are the world´s greatest rivalry. It all started back in the 1920´s when Boca Juniors and River Plate were only miles away from each other in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires.
River Plate had the money to move out of neighborhood La Boca and moved to neighborhood Belgrano. That is why River Plate´s nickname is “Los Millionarios” (The Millionaires).
The rivalry has grown enormously since then, fed by violence and hatred. River Plate has won the league more times than Boca Juniors: 84 against 77. According to The Telegraph, Scotland´s Rangers and Celtic occupy the second rank in the world´s football rivalry list. For the complete top 10 list, take a look below.
- River – Boca (Argentina)
- Rangers – Celtic (Scotland)
- Red Star Belgrade – Partizan (Serbia)
- Fenerbahce – Galatasaray (Turkey)
- Al Ahly – Zamalek (Egypt)
- Ajax – Feyenoord (The Netherlands)
- Barcelona – Real Madrid (Spain)
- Olympiacos – Panathinaikos (Greece)
- Roma – Lazio (Italy)
- Manchester United – Liverpool (England)